We are continually surrounded and bombarded with chemicals in the form of environmental toxins, airborne pollutants, food additives, personal hygiene chemicals, pesticides and many more.
The body does an incredible job in filtering and excreting these toxins, but doing so can place a lot of pressure on our vital organs. And although a lot of chemicals are successfully excreted from our body, there are many that attach to various cells throughout the body and cause a multitude of complaints. While some of these toxins are unavoidable, we can minimise our exposure to certain chemicals by buying organic.
Although organic produce is more expensive than conventional, chemical containing produce, it is more nutritious and gives our bodies a chance to rest and recover from the continual onslaught of chemicals. The aim is to purchase organic wherever possible, but if finances restrict this, here is a list of the most important foods to buy organic. The following produce was tested and found to have the highest levels of chemicals.
2. Peaches and nectarines
3. Strawberries and blueberries
4. Apples, apple juice and dried apples
5. Red, green and yellow capsicum
6. Most green leafy vegetables, especially
- Collard greens
- All types of lettuce
8. Root vegetables such as potato, carrot, onions
10. GMO foods – Most conventional soybeans and corn are genetically modified. To avoid these GMO foods, buy organic versions.
11. Dairy products – most conventionally raised cows are fed grains sprayed with pesticides and are injected with various drugs and antibiotics.
12. Meat and poultry – Organic meat and poultry must come only from animals that are fed organic feed, given no hormones or antibiotics and are generally allowed to free range. As toxins are stored in the bones, fat and meat of animals, buy organic whenever possible
So if you are considering buying organic, or already buy it but can’t afford to go totally organic, use this list to ensure that you are doing the best you can for your health.
By Andrea Southern, Naturopath, Nutritionist, Herbalist at Stafford and The Gap in Brisbane. For an appointment phone 0412 791 705